Blog Patrol Counter

Friday, January 14, 2011

Glad that's over

As days go, yesterday is one I'm glad is over.  I was in Sam's with a full cart when my phone rang and it seems mom's and my luck ran out, at exactly the same time.  She had fallen in her bathroom and this time she didn't bounce.  She connected with something nice and resistant and got a nice head laceration for her efforts.  The Paramedics had already been called so I did the unthinkable--I left my cart (no perishables) and walked out the door of Sam's. When I arrived, Mom didn't want to ride in the ambulance to Presby ER--major overkill--so I took her.

My mother is never funnier than in a calamity.  When I pulled out her heaviest coat to put on she told me and the Paramedics "I don't need that", to which we all rolled our eyes.  We talked her into it and when she hit the front door of the Plaza, and a big cold blast of air hit her, she let out a whoop that cracked up everyone within ear shot.  I bet she hadn't been outside in two weeks and she was mighty glad to have that coat--even in the ER.  After her CT scan she came back with two warm blankets hot out of the warmer, all wrapped up looking like an mummy.  All you could see was her eyes, and she was fine with that.

As luck would have it, the ER physician that treated mom ,(Dr. Fleming), just happened to know one of my niece's who had been a scribe in the ER, prior to starting Medical School.  I called her and put her on speaker phone and we all chatted, as mom got sewn up.  Hey....might as well have fun.  Mom's first suture pulled out immediately because her skin is as thin as tissue paper.  Dr. Fleming looked at me and we both just nodded.  Then as we were waiting to be discharged, I was sitting in the perfect spot to see through our cracked door, and just happened to look up.  There stood a friend of mine, who was in the ER with her terminally ill husband (cancer), in the room one down from ours.  She didn't see me so I jumped up and went and hugged her, and we just stared at each other.  If I had been sitting anywhere else in mom's room, I would not have seen her.  Coincidence??  I don't think so.  God hangs around in the ER a lot.

By the time our little ER outing was over and I made a quick store re-stocking run  for mom, she was wiped out and so was I.  While the nurses got her changed into clean clothes,  I gathered up the clothes she'd been wearing and a few towels and bath mats that looked like a murder had taken place, and ran them home to wash, and then to throw dinner together.  I knew her tile bathroom floor would be really cold without those mats so I ran them back after dinner, with her clothes.  Yes, it could have waited but....I didn't want her feet to be cold.



No comments:

Post a Comment