Blog Patrol Counter

Friday, August 3, 2012

Mom update

We ran by to see mom the other night after dinner.  She was already tucked into bed in her nightie, happy as a pig in mud, watching the Olympics on TV.  Man, is she tiny, though...her shoulder are so bony now they were poking the shoulders of her gown.  I have to constantly remind myself this is normal...she is dying.  She is just doing it s-l-o-w-l-y.  I sat on the bed as she visited with Bruce and me, and we told her what all was going on.  I don't think she actually retained a speck of it, but we told her just the same.

She's by herself a lot these days though she has people around her checking in and out on her, and frankly, it's her preference.  Too much action is not her deal these days and as long as she's happy, I'm not changing anything.  She likes her peace and quiet and her own space.  If she wants to yell at someone on TV, she can, and I want her to, if that floats her boat.  Personally, it cracks me up if she gets mad at someone on TV.  The other day she told a character in an old movie, "Awww, be quiet, you mean old lady!" and I howled. Then she laughed because I thought she was funny.  She loves to perform when we are visiting. 

It never ceases to amaze me how someone can be dying and how it can be such a gentle process.  When I think of dying, I always think of drama....I think the things we see on TV with gunshots, car crashes, and ER heart attacks make drama seem part of the equation, when sometimes it isn't.  Mom could still stroke or have a heart attack, too, but right now, she's just gently sliding downwards and that's pretty peaceful if you ask me.  Wow...lots to be grateful for today in God's world.

Happy Weekend to all.  Enjoy these peonies!




No comments:

Post a Comment