Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Sharks and vomit

Boy, howdy...it must be the beginning of the end.  I just saw vomit and treasure in the same sentence on the internet--specifically fossilized whale vomit treasure.  Whoa.  Guess it's just a little early in the morning for me to think in those terms.  Hats off to the boy who found it and ewwwww......keep it over there even if it is a rock.  Treasure vomit??  I don't think so.

A couple of nights ago I started the book Unbroken and it is fascinating read.  It tells the story of Louis Zamperini's life and though I'm only about a third of the way into it, it's a real page flipper.  I'm currently riding shotgun with him as a bombardier and general jack of all trades in a bomber that's like" sitting on the front porch and flying the house".  More crews died flying the damn plane and crashing it than were actually shot down.  It was very unwieldy and was called "the flying coffin".  Nice.  Since my dad was a tail gunner on a bomber, this is like hearing stories right out of my dad's mouth.  It was suggested as a great read by Bruce's cousin, AB, and she should know as she's read everything out there worth reading.  I may hide this afternoon and try to get further along, since I know what's coming and it's going to be harrowing.  Think Tom Hanks on that hand made raft, floating for days in the ocean with sharks circling you and the sun beating down...and your thirsty....and hungry....and it's only a matter of time before the Jap Zero's find you, and fill you full of lead.  See??  Hair raising isn't it??  By tonight I'll be a wreck.  I understand it's going to be made into a movie so that should be really interesting, but I'm still thinking about those sharks.

The painters are coming Tuesday and I am ready.  Funny how you can go years without fresh paint and then it's suddenly a huge emergency.  Hair cuts and hair color are like that, too.  When you gotta have it, you just gotta have it.  Period.  Nothing else works until you do.

Happy almost long weekend to all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment