Blog Patrol Counter

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Garland???

As part of my job overseeing mom's care, I try to keep all of her grand kids in the loop as much as possible, by email.  Yesterday I sent them one telling them how funny she is and what she'd said that day that unglued both of us so bad I had to stop and take a break.

When I got back over there yesterday afternoon, she was awake but had slid off her pillow in bed, and was sort of crumpled up, lying on her side playing with her fingers.  When I told her "Wow...you slid off your pillow...where'd you go??  She answered "Garland" and I almost dropped her.  I was trying my damnest to pull her back up and onto her pillow and I could not stop laughing.  Garland....whaaaat???  When I couldn't stop laughing neither could she.  We'd finally stop, look at each other and start up again.  It's the hardest I've laughed in ages.  I told her I had no idea how funny she was...she'd always just been my mother.

After that, I asked her if she was going to Garland to the Arboretum and she said "yes", and tried to tell me how beautiful it is.  I told her Dallas Blooms was going on right now and she said wanted to see it.  I was able to tell her that right now she'd hate it because it's cold and windy outside, which made me feel slightly less guilty.  Trying to drag her to the Arboretum??  Not gonna happen.  Getting her back up on the pillow was hard enough.

This weekend they are having an Easter Egg hunt outside in her little backyard area with food, drinks, and a visit from a mini horse named something or other-- I can't remember.  Memory Care families are invited, and if you can imagine a bunch of grown up toddlers egg hunting, that's pretty much what it will look like.  I just hope and pray they don't fight over the eggs.  To hear them cuss at each other is disturbing and sort of scary.  They can't help it-- but it's still not fun to watch.  Count me out on that.  Been there, done that.  Mom's not going to hunt eggs anyway.  I'm learning to take care of me while I take care of her.  Good lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment