Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Get realllllllll.....


For anyone who doesn't know me well, let me just say, I tend to lean a tad bit to the left--a tad--and I prefer to think of myself as open minded, so if that's a problem for you, quit reading this--now--or risk seeing something differently. Maybe. Otherwise, buckle up.
I just saw on the Internet, that a school prom in Mississippi has been canceled due to a female student's request to wear a tux, as she is a lesbian. She would be attending with her date, another female student, who would be wearing a dress-- I'm not sure. Even if the second student wanted to wear a tux, too, my question is, where's the problem? I don't care if guys wear dresses and gals wear tuxes, how important is it? No, this is not a drag prom and that's not what I heard requested. Could it turn into one? Maybe. And just as easily, maybe not. But have you been to a prom lately and seen what some of the kids wear? Boys and girls?? Holy cow. Two gals in tuxes might be a huge improvement from the hooker look of some gals. And nobody bats an eye at that stuff. I didn't hear a request to wear a clown suit--just a tux--which others will be wearing also.
Instead, a knee jerk reaction has canceled the prom, punishing all of the students, including the gay ones. Whyyyyyy? Can we not be a little bit tolerant of other peoples differences and let everyone have a great time? And, no, we don't need a "separate but equal prom" for those that don't quite fit inside society's narrow little box. We already know separate is NOT equal. Isn't it abut time we started practicing the Golden Rule instead of just saying we are? Saying and doing are two entirely different things.
And helllllooooo, boundaries?? Whose business is it, anyway, what someone else wears? It's NOT. If a female wears a tux, no one will die from it. And, if a guy wears a dress.....who really does that impact? Nobody. Again, see boundaries. Everyone is entitled to their feelings---but they are just that--feelings. They are not facts. Some people forget that. And just because I think it, doesn't make it so. Aren't the tux wearing gals feelings just as important as the other kids? You bet they are. And that's just how I see it.

(This is also what happens when I am on house arrest and can't drive. I have w-a-y too much time to play.)

2 comments:

  1. Why did she even ask anyone about what she was going to wear? Reminds me of my much older sister's 1960 prom -- her date showed up at the door in a tux with bermuda short pants -- silk stripe, hairy legs and all. No one batted an eye. He became our Texas Agriculture Commissioner for nine years. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete