Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Yahooo!


As anticipated, Fred was ...well...Fred.....nervous and jumpy as an old cat. They took me back to get me all ready and then let him come back to pre-op. Even with my friend Keely there, he was a train wreck. When they brought him back, he had that deer in the headlights look on his face and it made me, the patient, worry about him. But as soon as he got acclimated, he did fine--until the laughter started. Yep. Right on cue. First he wanted to know why my IV was running so slow---answer --it was a keep open meant to trickle--not flood me. They sped it up a little bit later. Then he wanted to squeeze my IV bag, (why???) and started telling me it was Ringers Lactate, and why. My eyes were beginning to roll at this point and I could feel the laughter bubbling up in my throat....suddenly he's Dr. McDreamy and knows everything--or thinks he does. Then he wants to put down my gurney bed rail--never mind he doesn't know how-- and then tells me "it's broken". I've had my other pre-op meds at this point-- but it appears not enough of them for this stuff. We are both starting to laugh our heads off, and now he wants to cruise around the pre-op holding area, since I'm the only one there. Why?? Just to snoop.
Luckily, my anesthesiologist appeared and said as soon as my surgeon came to see me, he was ready to slip me the good stuff and held up a big old syringe. I almost begged him to go ahead and do it now. My surgeon appeared right then, we chatted briefly, and Dr. Night-Night slipped me the goods--Versed. The last thing I remember was rolling out of the room about 20 seconds later. O-o-o-o la, la. Better living my chemistry.

My surgeon chatted with Bruce after surgery a little less than an hour later, while I'm in recovery, and the next thing I know I'm drinking a Sprite, eating crackers, yakking with the nurses, and about to get my clothes on. Back come Keely and Bruce. My nurse gave me a little extra pain meds via my IV before the Sprite and crackers, so I'm not uncomfortable at all and am watching my mini TV and gabbing. Since my surgeon was now in another surgery and couldn't break scrub to come talk to me, her assistant did, and off we went. All in all, not a bad deal and I was home by 10:20am. The pathology report won't be back for 2-3 days so I'm planning on not hearing anything until Monday. I will also be saying copious prayers until then that the pathology news is good. Hugs to all--it's time for lunch and a small snooze...OK...maybe a b-i-g one.
FYI: I am on Wiggles, Sister, and Muffin's sh** list for being up so early this morning and messing up their morning breakfast and walk schedule. Puuuulease. It's always something.

No comments:

Post a Comment