Blog Patrol Counter

Monday, March 29, 2010

Gotta get going


Well, I may have a random garden glitch this year. Yeah...another one. And I was hoping it was just that weird red valve. It's not. Here's the problem: it seems some of my seeds from last year spilled (I prefer to think they escaped) their envelope and are a bit co-mingled. Now, I can tell for sure which are the carrot seeds --just not which variety. Would that be the gourmet blend, the rainbow colored, or the mini's? I've decided I just really don't care....if they come up and actually grow into a carrot, that's gonna have to be enough. Plus, it will make harvesting just that much more interesting. Yes, I could go buy new seeds and know exactly what's going in but where's the adventure in that? I'm good on the green beans--I only have one variety and the seeds are big like a bean, duh-- and I remember what the plant actually looked like--before it d-i-e-d. I still have onions coming up from last year but since they were hot and strong, I'm just gonna let the stragglers stay and try to live. Last years mesculin mix of lettuces was adorable--it just didn't taste like much. Sort of like eating tender Kleenex....I'll pass.

I've decided to give my last years harvested basil seeds a go and for fun and some color, I'm throwing in some multi colored zinnia seeds I harvested last year also. I'm saving room and the sunniest spot for probably three tomato plants and maybe a baby spinach and a couple of squash varieties. I can get over squashed real fast so I'm gonna have to go easy there for sure. I'm saving an area for a pumpkin patch, again. Worst case? If they don't grow I can always go buy some at Tom Thumb and put them in my patch for Hudson and Hadley. I'd love to plant some new potatoes but I need more carbs like I need more weeds so that ones on the back burner for now. Now if I could just grow bread.....sourdough french, ciabatta, 4 cheese, 3 chili cheese.....omg. Yum. Or cheese....

And speaking of cheese....we went by the goat lady's place (down the road from us at the Farm) and all the goats were gone. Not a one on the place and I'm wondering if they went out of business or just got sick of goat maintenance. Either way, I was crushed. I had this big fantasy going that she (I made her a she because it's my story and I can) was not only a goat lady but an artisanal cheese maker. And in my fantasy, I was her assistant, learning the art of chevre making, a la goat's milk and we were like all the cool cheese people you read about in the magazines. Tres' arty and way cool. The toast of Sanger, Texas....and even nearby Denton. Ok....and Gainesville. Whatever.
Anyway, my fantasy ended abruptly Saturday when I found out "we" were out of business. Bummer. But I still have my memories.... The babies with their moms were hilarious and always climbing on top of something....hay bales, the white igloo half moon things, each other. Ditto the big ones. And the pregnant moms were just huge--like a big old parade float--since most of them twin, and some triplet, with every delivery. It's clear why God never made me a goat....twins or triplets every time?? Just shoot me. End of fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment