Blog Patrol Counter

Friday, March 19, 2010

What to grow.....M&M's...gum??


I am thrilled to announce that my gardening prayers were answered and I got a new plot up at our community garden. It's spitting distance from our house and since most of my area that gets enough sun is covered by concrete, I dig around up there. I say "dig around" simply because I wouldn't exactly call what I did last year gardening--most stuff died. And not totally by my hand, either. I got some help. Between my plot's location (morning sun only due to an untrimmed tree) and the monsoons we endured last year, my plot looked like a rice paddy farmer's. Bruce did a commando tree hacking, but even that didn't improve things much, so until another plot opened up, I was going to container garden. Now I have one with sun--it just has some kind of weird red valve, right smack in the middle of it. Oh, well....I'm going to see this as this year's gardening challenge and plant right around it. It also has last year's gardeners junk she left behind so a clean out will be my first order of business--that, and yanking up old dead plants. She left behind what looks like a leek and a few other things so there's no telling what may come up later, that I don't know about. I may do a lot of flowers, too, since I love those and I like to use them at home.
I have also "hired" two assistant gardeners--Hudson (4) and Hadley (2)--as general waterers / hose players, Popsicle eaters, and diggers. They are also great tool "washers"--anything that involves a hose and water is right up their alley. I plan to pay them in either candy or gum--and if we actually grow something, they can eat that, too. Who am I kidding....they're not gonna eat that stuff. I tried a pumpkin patch for them last year and it was a total failure--no sun--so we'll give that a shot again mid summer. If I could just grow candy, I'd have it made.

No comments:

Post a Comment