Blog Patrol Counter

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Ahhhh, pork

I just don't think this day can get much better unless it includes a nap for me this afternoon.  Paul McCartney got married today in London to a lovely looking woman reasonably close to his own age who has her own money and doesn't need his, thank you very much.  Unlike his last disastrous marriage, this one might just be a keeper and I'm all over that.  Next, I was awake at 2:45AM anyway so I was able to pour off the brine for my pulled pork without waking up anybody else, which is always appreciated.  Once I got up for good, around 8-ish, I went out to the garage and got my sack of mesquite chips to get them soaking, pulled out Miss Piggy (pork butt-shoulder) to let her come closer to room temp, while I got my BIG GIRL Egg all set to light.  I had already applied the recipes rub to her bad self, wearing latex gloves as suggested, so the rub stays on the meat, and not on you.  Sis was my able assistant until I realized that was only because she wanted to lick the grate the pork was to go on....not so much, Sis.  Ain't gonna happen, so she was fired on the spot.  She was lousy help anyway.

Once my fire was going, Brian was up and helped me get everything outside and loaded.  Since this old Pig needs to cook for 10-12 hours at 210 degrees, that's about the equivalent of cooking it with a flashlight but I digress.  Once on, Brian and I cackled at just how dam accurate you can get with an Egg.  We've both been outside more than once to check the temp, and it's hovering right about 220....now, yes, I realize I could dink around with it to reach exactly 210 but I seriously just don't care.  I'm not thinking 10 degrees one way or the other is gonna be a deal breaker on this big old gal, and while she puffs away ever so gently, with a slight trail of smoke out of her top grate, I am beyond content though I do smell a little smokey. 

Lastly, we got RAIN last night and a much needed rain at that.  Ours went on for most of the night and that's just the best news ever.  Even though it's late, we still got it, and some is better than none any day.  When I went out to light the Egg, I noticed Brian had left an old pair of boots outside just far enough out from under the roof line to get wet.  Real wet.  When I went over to check on them, it was just like in the cartoons--I poured rain out of each boot making a big splash each time.  Good thing those were his old boots.  (Eye roll...head shake).

No comments:

Post a Comment