Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Bring on the butt....or shoulder

For today and this day only, we are a somewhat divided family, and only for a few hours.  With Benji and Andrea as OU alums, and Bruce and me as ex-UT alums, come 11AM, a line in the sand will be drawn.  The first year Benji was at OU, I called him every time UT scored.  I knew we weren't gonna win so I had to get my licks in when and where I could.  We ended up getting pulverized as we have for most of the years since so he graciously got the last laugh.  Fred delivered the bad news last night that UT is not favored to win this year either, but I am holding out hope that all the new trick plays might help.  Then I remembered if I know about the trick plays, OU will be more than prepared for such shenanigans but I still remain hopeful.  It ain't over 'til it's over.  No matter what, it should be a fun game to watch. 

I mentioned in an earlier post that I wanted to make pulled pork and I still do.  The problem is finding a 5-7 lb. pork butt.  I'm not sure that's a usual and customary item at Tom Thumb since I didn't see any so I may have to order one.  I'm on the phone now and the butcher says he thinks he has one.  I asked him to please go be sure before I drag myself up there.  He says it may be labeled pork shoulder...so a shoulder and a butt are now the same thing???  Apparently at Tom Thumb they are and I guess I'm hung up in "technicalities".  I thought a butt was in the back and a shoulder was in the front.  Silly me.  I should have known better.

The recipe I have says to brine it so now I'm off to see what all I need to get that part going.  I figure we'll be eating this thing sometime tomorrow--probably for dinner.  My big green egg has been wanting to get back into business so I'm headed outside now in my pj's with my coffee to see if I have enough charcoal--I'm pretty sure I do.  Wood chips?  Check.  BGE fire starters?  Check.  Oh, lawsie..it's gonna be a GREAT day no matter which team wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment