Blog Patrol Counter

Monday, October 31, 2011

A farm weekend

A weekend in the country (OK..not exactly the country but close enough) is exactly what I needed.  The minute we hit the Farm, my blood pressure starts dropping and my shoulders relax.  Since the house was chilly on arrival, I decided I simply had to make a fire so I did.  Yes, we have central air and heat but a fire is lots more fun.  I kept that thing going until I went to bed and I'm sure Sis appreciated my efforts.  It's funny how Bruce doesn't want to make a fire, but he sure wants to take over mine.  Must be that Y chromosome thing again.

Saturday, after we opened the gate early for the Boy Scouts--the electric gate was on the fritz and at 8AM and we hadn't quite figured out what the problem was-- in streamed Suburban after Truck, filled with boys.  I had to laugh at one dad driving a huge Ford F-250, wearing a skin tight pair of wranglers and the typical Cowboy short haircut, who simply could not figure out how to hook the gates back, just like they had been, after he had just opened them.  He ended up hooking them so the cows could only stay in one pasture and the horses couldn't venture back to the tank.  Genius.  Bruce and I stood inside looking out, and laughed our heads off.

The horses look fatter than they previously have and that's good though one of them is looking pretty saggy....his ribs are showing a little and I think he's just old and perhaps ready to go to that big oat feeder in the sky.  One of the big red ones came up to the house after we returned from lunch for some love and apple bites.  This is the smart one that remembers how great they taste vs the other two who are more reluctant to try.  He is just a big old teddy bear and wanted to be loved on and scratched....that is until I went in for the Honey Crisp apples.  Then he becomes a world class lipper and can fit at least 4 slices in his mouth at a time, wanting more....a regular eating machine  There's just nothing like the slightly slobbery lips of a horse nibbling apples out of your hand.....and that velvety muzzle....oh, man.

Here's where we always eat lunch--King's-- and it's the local hot spot.  We really like the couple who own it and Saturday, their already 6 foot tall 13 yr. old son was working.  He looks just like his momma with his daddy's coloring.  Adorable.  

Lastly, look who thumbed a ride with her boyfriend.


No comments:

Post a Comment