Blog Patrol Counter

Monday, October 24, 2011

Halloween Candy

I feel compelled to discuss Halloween candy probably because ours is sitting on a table way too close to me, though it is in another room.  Now, if you're like me, you only buy the good stuff.  All chocolate, all your favorite kinds from childhood, that they still make, and none of that filler stuff.  Mines always the top shelf candy on the off chance that if there's any left over, we all get to eat it and I'm not eating that junk stuff.  Like there's ever been any left... but whatever.  It's maybe happened twice in 28-29 years.

I'm not into that filler junk--you know...the suckers, the bubble gum, the cruddy stuff that you can buy in bulk at Sam's and then act like you're all wonderful giving out crappy candy-- even to the parents.  Noooooo...not doin' that.  If your kids don't do chocolate, you'd best skip our house, and parents, you'd better plan on raiding your kid's bag after they fall asleep 'cause I'm not supporting your chocolate habit.  Not happening.

I remember as a kid going trick or treating at this old lady's house that lived right where Ed Cox lives now--across from the DCC.  I was scared half to death because who ever I was with said she was really scary and mean but that we were going there anyway.  Period.  And not to freak out or lose it.  So, we got to her house...or should I say mansion...and it was plenty spooky....though the front light was on.  Sooooo, we sucked it up and rang the doorbell...and waited.  After a little while this tiny lady opened the door... and she was dressed in a Japanese robe, or something sort of like that, for a costume.  I was just sure her head was gonna explode or she was gonna stab us or something.  We all said trick or treat and she got this HUGE grin on her face and I remember thinking "OMG... NOW she's gonna KILL us".  From back behind her stepped her maid, with a tray of POPCORN BALLS--only THE COOLEST thing in the entire world to get on Halloween.  I'll never forget it as long as I live.  How did she know that was the coolest thing to give on Halloween?  She was all alone.  Did she have grandkids?  Who told her??  I just remember thinking she was the most fabulous of lady EVER and I'd never be afraid of her again even though she did live all alone in the big old spooky house. 

We never went back after that and I don't remember why and I'm sort of glad we didn't.  Nothing will ever top that memory for me.  Popcorn Balls.  O...M...G...

Lastly, my favorite Halloween story is my friend's dad who loved to answer the door on Halloween with a half gallon of ice cream tucked under one arm and an ice cream scoop in the other hand, and act like he was going to drop a blob of it in with your candy.  You could hear kids screaming all the way to the corner.  He was hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment