Blog Patrol Counter

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Depression alert: don't say I didn't warn you

Funny how plans somehow don't turn out quite like you thought they would.  I was to have taken mom to the dentist today.  Fine.  No problem.  I got there and she was all set and ready to go and was even coming down the hall.  And that's where the problem begins....she was sitting on the seat of her walker, being pushed down the hall.  Huh??  What the hell is this??  We decide that maybe a wheelchair might be better since she's not acting like she's able to walk, and after taking three of us to transfer her over, peeling her hands up one by one off of her walker, despite us telling her we wouldn't let her fall, we finally get her in the damn wheelchair.  Outside by my car, we attempt to get her into the front seat.  After three tries, again with all three of us, I blow the whistle, call the dentist's office and cancel.  Mom is like a solid sack of reinforced concrete, and I know even if we could get her into my car, I might never be able to get her out--even with help.  Holy moly.

Mom was shuffling --a little bit earlier this morning in PT-- but now it's just a total shut down and while they roll her back inside, I am seated in my car, gulping air and fighting tears.  I finally go back inside to talk with  the Nurse Manager, and to try to get some perspective. While we get mom set up for Mobile Dental to come clean her teeth--yep, there is such a thing-- we brainstorm together whether this is "just where we are" or, is she possibly someplace less permanent?  Answer:  Who the hell knows.

  Now that the dominoes are falling, I am staring down the barrel at sometime soon having to ground my mom from going to church on Sundays and then to Brook Hollow for lunch--something she adores doing every week-- because she is just a lead weight, cannot walk, and is at even further risk for getting hurt.  The ladies that take her can't handle this.  Maybe mom can go a few more times if she can walk...maybe... but right now, it's not looking like it, and I am just crushed for her.  Are ya depressed yet....??  Yeah...me, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment