Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Not in my skill set

When I grow up, here's what I really wanna be, and it's not a nurse.  I wanna be one of those gifted people with an eye for design and furniture, who can take an otherwise plain vanilla space and make it fabulous, duh, but here's the twist.  I want to be able to do it from resale places and places people offload their old stuff, garage sales, inherited cast offs, etc. and I'd love to be able to do it for young couples just starting out.  In other words, I'd want to do it on a budget--the tighter the better.  I do love a challenge.

There's a cool really elderly lady in town, Mrs.Yancey, who back in the day, could do this with half her brain tied behind her.  Her taste and brains were just incredible.  She could always take something most people might walk by and reincarnate it into something cool and unusual--something everyone else who saw it afterwards, wanted.  And wanted bad.  Unfortunately, that's not part of the skill set I got and as much as I'd like to have it, it's not one of those things you can teach yourself.  Lord knows I've tried and my mistakes get real expensive.  Nate Berkus I'm not.

  I know I really enjoy it because those are my favorite shows to watch, while tread milling.  I wish I'd had Mrs. Yancey to help me and teach me, way back when.  No telling what I could have collected over the years with her eye and knowledge, not to mention ideas I could have picked up from her.  I know she wrote a little book for couples and I'll have to see if I can find out what it's called.  As I remember, it was a collection of her ideas of how to "create a home".  Old fashioned and fabulous. 

I just found it and it's still available though pretty generic.  It's called House Warming.  I think I'd want to be the updated version of Mrs. Yancey.  That would just be a blast.  In my fantasy world, I'd be the toast of the cheapo design world, move over Nate, and if you had tons of money, I wouldn't work with you.  I'd only work with the "ain't got much" crowd.  That'd be really fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment