Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Happy Birthday, Go-Go

Today is the 58th year of someone on this planet that I love more than tongue can tell--my sister, Gretchen, or Go-Go, as her grandkids call her.  Or Gretty.  Or Gretel.  Yeah, she answers to all of those.  Without her, life on this planet would just not be as rich, or as fun, or sometimes as challenging.  Do we get mad at each other once in a while?  Well, hell, yes.  What siblings don't.  But, when push comes to shove and I'm on a desert island, I want her there with me.  We are yin to each others yang and since we're never both crazy on the same day, our relationship works beyond my wildest dreams.

She can make me laugh harder than just about anyone else I know, except maybe Fred.  Let's just say they are neck in neck for the funniest two people, in the clutch.  When she's at her best, I love to sit back, put my feet up, and just watch her roll.  And if you think that somehow she's a cream puff, think again.  She's one of the softest looking, toughest women I know.  And the really weirdest part is, if her body does something, it's often a precursor for mine and vice versa.  It's happened time and time again so now I just watch and wait when she tells me something. 

As kids, we were not all that close due to mom.  I don't say that to blame--it's just the facts, folks.  Mom inserted herself between the two of us, as children, so we never really got to know each other until we became adults.  And I thank God every day that we did.  Now we are no longer a triangle, including mom, but a team, with the two of us.

If you don't have a sister, get one.  She doesn't have to be blood to be your sister, but it's nice.  Pick someone you admire, can make you laugh, and will be rigorously honest with you no matter if your butt does look big in those jeans.  Honesty is KEY.  Having a sounding board is critical so be careful who you choose and where you place your trust.  I know some of you are rolling your eyes thinking "swell, but it'll never happen with my sister".  I thought the same thing years ago but here's what I know today: be the person you'd like her to be.  Treat her the way you'd like her to treat you.  And if all else fails, go choose your own.  But you can't have mine.  She's taken.

Happy Birthday, Go-Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment