Blog Patrol Counter

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Lookey, heah...

Yesterday afternoon was just a blast.  After returning from Wide Awake Wylie, I decided it was the purrrfect day for a white trash fire on the driveway in my fire pit, with the puppies as my guests.  As long as I didn't have to keep chasing them out of the alley, or repeatedly retrieve Sis from Freddy's house, it would be superb.  And it was.  Freddy is Sis's BF and the cutest guy around and he would have been welcome to join us, chaperoned, of course.  I just don't want Sis getting a reputation always ho'in around at his house. 

This is the first year I can think of that I've had a fire inside, before having one outside, in my pit.  Some of the branches we lost in the last storm came in mighty handy, since they catch fire so much more quickly than my mini tree logs.  A fat wood stick, some leaves and a match was all it took to put me in bid'ness.  Shoooweee .... it was wonderful.  A blue sky, trees leaves every color imaginable, and sunning, snoozing pups.  The crackle, the pop, the smoke smell .....pure deee heeeeaven.  What more could a gal ask for?

  One of my neighbors, Sue, came by down the alley to see what I was doing and stayed to chat for quite awhile.  Her plan was to do her exercise walk but I think the allure of the fire pit got her.  Sue is an identical twin and retired school teacher who lost her sister, Ann, to breast cancer several years ago.  The two of them were inseparable, never married, and lived together all their lives so I was worried about how Sue might fare after Ann's death.  It took her a little while to grieve but then Sue hit the ground running and has remained one of the most positive people I know.  She loves to hike, travel, work in her yard, and has the highest squeakiest voice you've ever heard and for a really tall gal, it's just NOT what you'd expect to hear, coming out of her mouth.  I think she's from the deep, deep, South somewhere so that makes her accent even more hilarious.  She is a treasure.
I closed up shop right about the time the sun dropped down, the breeze picked up, and it started getting chilly.  I'd brought my O magazine outside with me to read, so technically, Oprah hung with me yesterday, too.  Not a shabby afternoon by a long shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment