Blog Patrol Counter

Friday, October 5, 2012

Grandmothers

Today as I was driving along, I was thinking what fun it will be to be a grandmother some day.  I was reflecting back over the angst most parents feel over doing everything right, telling their kids all the things they need to survive in this world, teaching them all the skills they'll need, and all the sleepless nights worrying and wondering if you got it right.  And then I thought being a grandmother and how fun it will be to just make stuff up as you go along.

I'm not going to worry if my grand kids get into an Ivy League school, ace their SAT's, or if they'll be "outstanding", because it's just not going to matter to me one damn bit.  They're not my kids and I don't have to worry about all that.  I'm d-o-n-e in that department and I plan to simply kick back and have fun.  I'm going to be the storybook reading granny, the lemonade maker, the one who goes on walks where we pick up leaves and makes up stories about them, and the kind that tells stories about faeries and where they live.  The faeries part is going to take a little work since we don't have a lot of woods around our house but that's OK.  Little kids won't know that's where I think they live, so I'll just make up something else. Maybe they could live in the grass or the bushes, or maybe a bird house.  I don't know yet and luckily, I have lots of time.

Now as for all the questions little kids ask, I'm telling you up front I'm gonna lie.  If they ask me if worms yawn, I'm gonna say YES.  Do birds have best friends?  YES.  Will eating cooked spinach really make you stronger?  NO, but anything that tastes that bad sure should.  See?  It's easy.   And I can't wait.  I can't wait to find out one of my grand kids has repeated something I've told them, and know Brian's or Benji's eyes are rolling in their heads. Lawsie...that's gonna be one fun day.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment