Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Goin' it alone

Now that it's been a little over a month since the Wigman's departure, I'm getting a chance to really get to know Sis.  Before, she was just always Wig's bumbling side-kick, but now that she's on her own, her real personality is emerging.   When someone comes over now, she barks and her fur stands up down her back, especially outside in the front yard.  She never did that before and she seems a lot more protective, especially inside when it's just the two of us here.  Gone is the rambunctious, devil may care girl.  She's a lot more serious these days.  And she is definitely not a morning gal or a morning greeter, either, and Wig was both of those.  He got up out of his bed every morning of his life, to come greet me in the kitchen and give me kisses.  Sis?  Not on your life.  She might be up out of her bed, but she'll be sitting in one of the den chairs ( her thrones), sitting almost upright like a person, and you can come greet her, if you want.  She only hops down to come in the kitchen when she smells toast--her toast--or so she thinks.

She used to practically tear the den door off butting Wiggles out of the way to run outside, but now acts like she doesn't much want to go...or only if you hang around outside with her.  Somebody has gotten a little needsie.  If Fred's out there, she's definitely out there attached to him like Velcro, but to just go out alone has lost it's thrill, for now.  Every night after dinner, she wants to be chased, with her green Santa headless Bobo.  Before??  Never.  And now she talks a lot-- and it used to be just Wig.  Maybe he talked so much she didn't have to...I don't know... but, man, can she be a yakker.  She doesn't seem to be as assertive as she used to be either, but I guess now with no competition, she doesn't have to be.  She seems more vulnerable, timid, and less sure of herself now that's she's going it alone.  Understandable, though.  She has big paw prints to fill.

I'm a tad bit worried about my impatiens plants that are in my pretend greenhouse, a.k.a., our garage.  When Fred went out to start his car, he said the door beside the our big garage door had blown slightly open so this latest ice and snow may have claimed some of my little friends.  Everyone has had a major haircut, a big drink of water, a tad bit of fertilizer, and several trips out of the garage on vacation to soak up sun, between ice storms, but they still may croak.  My huge hanging fern looks like it's been on chemo, so it may be history, too.  The new gardenia bushes that were planted last summer are still alive, which is no small miracle.  I'm counting on those gals for some enormous blooms in June, but we'll see. 

I have taco soup already made for dinner tonight.  To me, there's just nothing more warm fuzzy than a hot bowl of soup for dinner.  For some odd reason, I have a hankering to make scratch biscuits so I may do that as well.  There's just something I love about having my hands in dough.  It's soft and I like to play with it.  Toasted biscuits for breakfast (lunch,dinner) is just off the charts, too, as far as I'm concerned.  Ohhhh, pass...the...butter, puuuulease.

No comments:

Post a Comment