Blog Patrol Counter

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ponzu sauce?

I was recently reading a recipe and now I can't remember where I read it, but among other things it called for, you needed a 1/2 cup of Ponzu sauce.  OK....I'll bite.  Since I was totally clueless and my Japanese has gotten a little rusty, I went to my foodie dictionary, Food Lover's Companion.  It has "comprehensive definitions of nearly 6,000 food, drink, and culinary terms".  Whew.  But here's the best part: in defining Ponzu, it uses three other Japanese words--2 you must cross reference, in order to figure out what the hell is in in Ponzu sauce.  I'm serious.  The words were Kombu (seaweed), Katsuobushi (dried tuna flakes), and Chirinabe (a one pot dish).  Fageadaboudit.  The other stuff it listed I at least have a working knowledge of, but seaweed and dried tuna flakes?  I'll pass.  I'm sure somebody out there is game enough to try it but I'm betting their last name isn't Harris.  Or, even Caroline, for that matter.

On tonight's menu is Fred's ultimate delish din-din:  Smothered Dove.  He was going to fix it for dinner last night but there was one small hitch--the dove were still frozen.  So, when we got back from dinner, he did his thing, and once cooled, slipped them in the refrig. to snooze.  I didn't realize we even had any more dove since the hunter who cleaned them, forgot to mark them as to contents of the container.  I've learned not to thaw anything that's not marked--it's usually something wild and random that I don't want to cook, much less eat anyway. These are a combo of his Farm and alley/ front yard hunts --he's always shooting at something--so even if the game sucks, dinner will be grand.

On a happy note, Sis is thrilled to have all this snow and ice melted.  She was seriously bored and even fell off into a snow drift by the back door, naked.  Her coat wouldn't have helped, since her tummy is what went snow first, but she was just pissed after wards.  Can't say as I blame her.  We are off shortly on a walk to get outside and enjoy some sunshine and exercise.  We girls just need to get outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment