Blog Patrol Counter

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Updated Mouse report

We made a quick run after lunch yesterday up to the Farm to see for ourselves how everything looked.  Maxine, our house cleaner, had done an excellent job of cleaning, so unless those little rodents came running out last night, the big house looked good.  According to Rodney (caretaker), Maxine doesn't do mice either and he should know--Maxine is his "Auntie".

The little house was a different story, since Maxine just goes down there occasionally.  To put it in PC terms, there was still evidence of our little rodent friends, even on some of the beds, and in the bathrooms.  Luckily, there were no dead mouse "floaters" in either toilet, as there have been in the past, or I'd have been out the door.  Wanna see a fat gal run, that'd do it.  As much as I hate to do it to her, Maxine may be in for a visit to the little house sooner, rather than later.  I did scream once, just for fun, while Fred was in the back bedroom at the little house.  When he came flying, I was standing there laughing.  I just had to do it. It was just too fun not to.

Sis went with us and scoped every square inch of both houses, for a critter to chase, with no luck, thank goodness.  She ran all over the front and back pastures, sniffing, and while Fred pulled gross weeds out of the tank, she found a shallow spot for a drink.  The front tank is about two feet low and we could sure use some rain, as everything is really dry.  The rehabbed dock is still good but the paint is already coming off, due to the recent harsh weather.  Welcome to outdoor upkeep.  It's just constant.  Rodney is supposed to be fixing the screens on the doors of the big house and little house--they get punched out by balls on the porch or kids, on a regular basis.  And by kids, I am referring to the adult kind and the small kind. 

On my walk down to the little house, I stopped by the water trough to check it out and except for a few leaves and a little wad of horse spit, it was clean as a whistle.  I flicked out the gross stuff and left it nice for John's horses.  I love to watch horses drink from a trough or even the creek.  They put their muzzle in and then swish it around, to get some clean water.  And then they slurp.  And stir some more.  I just love that sound.  The horses did ask me to tell John they'd really like some oats and a flake each, of some fresh alfalfa, daily.  It's been cold and they need some pampering.  I gave them John's cell number.  Good luck on that one, guys.

2 comments:

  1. I'm gonna keep hoping for a "mouse free zone" for this weekend... 8 girls, sleeping on the floor, with mice running across them, is just not the slumber party experience I want to host! :) And we will definitely stay out of hte little house.

    ReplyDelete