Blog Patrol Counter

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lollipops

Late yesterday afternoon, I got a hilarious call from mom saying she needed me to do some shopping for her.  She told me what she needed--more underwear--and despite the fact she'd just gotten more a few months back, she needed more.  I guess some get lost in the Laundry or whatever, I don't know.  Luckily, I had just finished putting a pot roast into the oven, so I was free to run over to her place and do a little further investigation.

BTW, the pot roast recipe is in the Pioneer Woman's Cookbook Benji gave me for Christmas and it rocks.  Carrots, onions, I threw in potatoes, and a chuck roast all seasoned and seared before going into the oven.  Add fresh rosemary and thyme, and beef broth and Ooo, la la.  I added a little red wine when I deglazed the pan just because.  It was the right thing to do.  It really was.

So, smelling like pot roast, off I went the 4-5 blocks to mom's.  Sure enough, it was a bona fide Laundry Emergency-- she was out of clean ones-- but it was the conversation that we had that was hilarious.  She was adamant that she needed a certain brand of old lady big white waistys--Lollipops-- and she must have told me 5 times.  Just when I think my mom has totally lost all of her marbles, she can remember she's out of underwear.  And the brand she wants.  Lollipops.  And while we were talking, she had her TV on so loud, watching Wheel of Fortune, that she put her hands up to shout, Lollipops, one... more... time.

The funny part is, the last time we ordered underwear for her, she left them sitting in the box, unopened for several weeks, until I asked her what was in the box.  She said she didn't know and didn't really care, (omg) so I opened it.  You would have thought it was Christmas morning when I handed her those Lollipops.  This time I'll know better.

So, yesterday I grabbed several pairs, ran home and threw them in the washer, jumped on my computer and ordered her six more pair, and ran the clean, dry, folded ones back to her, for today.  Sunday is her Laundry day but this wasn't going to wait.  Today is her church and go to the Country Club for lunch day, with her friend, and I'm just glad she called me yesterday, and not this morning.  When I told Fred about it yesterday, he just rolled his eyes.  Now, every time I look at him, he starts laughing and singing that old song "Lollipop"....

No comments:

Post a Comment