Blog Patrol Counter

Monday, February 14, 2011

A Grandaddy of a gesture

The other day, I stopped by Matthew Trent's shop in Preston Center to pick up a necklace I'd taken to him to re-configure for me.  When I went in to get it, a lovely gal and her husband were visiting with Matthew over a ring they were in the process of having made.  While I looked around, I couldn't help but hear some of the conversation, which was a cool story I'll pass on here.  While she tried on the green wax mold of the ring, with the some of the stones in place --a work in progress-- I happened to look over.  Holy, moly....I almost went blind on the spot.  Matthew asked me what I thought of the ring and while the style wasn't exactly me, it was a stunner--so that's all I said" Stunning!".  And that's when the party started with all of us. 

While Matthew went to go get my lowly little necklace, the gal and her husband asked me what I really thought, if I'd ever had Mathew make me anything, etc.  I told them I had, that he was the best, in my opinion, and that's when the gal told me the story about her diamond.  It looked to be 2.5-3 carat solitaire, was honkin' big and sparklingly beautiful--so white it was almost blinding.  I'm a jewelry gal, too, so just know I was salivating.  It seems, when she was born, her grandfather bought this stone for her, tagged it, and put it in his safety deposit box, to be given to her at his death.  He never mentioned it to her and she knew nothing about it.  I'm not sure her parents even knew because she said they had never mentioned it. 

Her grandfather died fairly recently, the stone had been given to her, and she and her husband "were creating something really special to remember her grandfather by".  You could tell by the looks on both of their faces that they were still really emotional around the significance of this last gesture from her grandfather.  She was downright teary.  And slightly overwhelmed.  Wow....great story...  and a grandaddy of a gesture.

No comments:

Post a Comment