Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Accents...I feel like the UN

Remember in the United States when everyone spoke English and for the most part, it sounded like English. Now, don't get all "the US is a melting pot on me....." I get that and I love it. I'm as Ellis Island as the next person but here's the problem. As I am advancing in age, my ears and brain are having increasing difficulty decodeing what's being said, with all the different accents I come into contact with regularly.
Example: the Vietnamese ladies at the nail place. When I was there Saturday, one of them asked me something and I had absolutely no clue what she had just said, so I looked at the second one. She repeated it, and it sounded exactly the same to be.......zhing whong hoy yong. Whaaaaat???
I could tell both of them thought I'd had some recent brain injury since I was staring at them with my face all blank and they were visibly uncomfortable that I didn't understand. Well, yeah....there is that. Finally, I repeated what they'd said, out loud, twice, and then screamed out laughing. I got it. I then said it to them, answered their question, and we all laughed over and over. Yep....they think I'm crazy. Oh, well.
Then there's the nurse from Kenya (Hellen--2 L's), at the Plaza, who speaks with an African British accent. Talk about tweaking your ears....if I can get her slow down, I can do it, but if she goes all full tilt on me, I'm toast. I'm used to the Indian ladies accent from working with so many of them, but throw in a Filipino and I am right back to the "whaaaaat???" look.
And last but never least, my most favorite, the Hispanic accent. OK...that one almost makes me look intelligent. Every now and then I get stumped but not all that often, and what little Spanish I speak is always indulged, even if my tenses are all out of whack. And unless we get going on the African American hip hop language of da 'hood, I'm good there, too. Most of the time.
I know it's not just me because my sister has given me the " Huh...what'd they say???" look on more than one occasion, and it does absolutely no good to ask Fred, if he's there. Color him clueless as well. So, I guess this is just something more I'm gonna have to work on..... Oh, great......another thing to add to my ever growing list.

1 comment:

  1. Zhing wha . . .? I've said it outloud more than twice and still don't get it. Translate, please!

    ReplyDelete