Blog Patrol Counter

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Kindness


People never cease to amaze me. Some can be awful but some can be so extraordinarily kind it's just humbling. Today I've been trouble shooting how to get mom's hair and nail people paid each week, minus her carrying her checkbook and credit cards, since they are not l-o-n-g for her purse. They are gonna get yanked next week when my sister can stomach it.
Anyway, her hair guy was OK...a tad snippy with a big old lump of defensiveness but essentially fine. But it was the nail lady that surprised me. I had to leave her a voice mail about what I needed--this person I have never laid eyes on-- and to let me know if we could possibly work something out for mom. She could not have been any nicer or more helpful if she tried. She said "my mom is 80 so I totally get it, and what you are going through, so we can work it out--no problem. Here's my cell number so call me and let me know what might work best for you." Huh???

Then this afternoon was my follow up appointment at the breast surgeon and as I sat there playing on my phone and reading the mag's (the selection sucked I might add) I would occasionally glance around to see who was who and if I could tell where they were in in their treatment process, if they were in the "wait and see mode", or if this was just a follow up. Sitting there I became mesmerized by this one man's voice. He sat beside his wife in those wonderful Sears's striped overalls, faded from a thousand washings, that are almost impossible to find anymore, reading softly, out loud to her. While he was not a particularly gifted reader, it was the softness and gentleness of his voice that washed over me. I felt my body relax and I put down my phone. I didn't want to eaves drop but I just couldn't help myself... I felt my shoulders sag, my hands relax. Then my pulse rate slowed. His voice was the most loving, intimate, and gentle gesture I have witnessed in a long time. As his wife sat beside him in her wig, you could tell she was appreciative of his efforts but still just so afraid and unsure, probably dreading having her name called. His kindness just humbled me and no matter what that lady has to face, she has him right beside her.

No comments:

Post a Comment