Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What fun!

I think something is wrong with Fred....seriously. I found my husband sitting in the front yard, a la Jed Clampitt, armed with a pellet gun and Sis, at 5:30 pm, trying to kill a squirrel. Is is ever not hunting time? Then as I came walking down the driveway, he wanted me to sneak around the side of the tree and flush out the squirrel, so he could shoot it. Does that sound normal to you?? Then he wanted me to "stroll down the sidewalk" in front of our house to see if I could spot the damn squirrel, seeing as how I had on a dark shirt and he had on a white one, and the squirrel would see him. Whaaaat? I think Fred's been huffing the gas can in the garage....that's weird even for him. (This part is from last Friday.) Below is from yesterday--Tuesday, 27th.

Update from yesterday: my sister and I met with a certified estate appraiser over at mom's condo to go through and appraise what's left. The lady was English, about our age and though she lives here, had just returned from a trip home. She was incredibly knowledgeable and just downright FUN. My favorite part was when we did some of mom's silver. She would pull out these pieces and call them by their "veddy proper name" and my sister and I would just howl. We had no clue what some of these things were much less how they were used but Lordy, she could give you chapter and verse on each one. A toasting fork?? A cheese scoop?? Oh, hell, yeah....we knew that. (We had been calling them doo hickeys and doo dads.) No wonder we needed her. She whipped out a jewelers loop to look at the tiny stamps on the backs to tell whether something was sterling or plate, when it was assayed, where, and who made it. She had a little book where she could look up each little stamp if it was one she wasn't familiar with. It was like being with a genealogist of silver and antiques. It was a total blast and most interesting since that's just another thing I enjoy.
I was surprised at how exhausted we all were by the end. It's such a comfort to now have a list of mom's remaining possessions and values from someone who really knows something vs us nitwits. I've had all of her jewelry appraised so at this point, I think we are pretty close to being done with mom's estate stuff except for what she has in her apartment. Yes, we could have done it also yesterday but I don't want mom to feel like we are pushing her towards the grave. That little bit of stuff can just w-a-i-t. Plus, we might have interrupted Perry Mason.

No comments:

Post a Comment