Blog Patrol Counter

Monday, April 12, 2010

M*A*S*H unit

Yesterday, it took a village to get one baby girl christened and everyone through the christening lunch. Kids were dropping like flies so while I triaged them, their exhausted parents were grabbing family members to help out. It was hilarious.... Think a Country Club M*A*S*H unit and you've got it. They were all tired and starving after the service so while Hudson's dad got him a plate of food from the buffet, I got one for Hadley, who was falling asleep (and starting to run temp) in her Aunt Kara's arms, and looking just generally droopy as old underwear. She perked up for about 15 seconds before she slid down the slippery slope to Tear City, and "I want my daaaaaaa-deeeee". Partnered up, in a chair with her all over him, to sleep she went. Exit Hadley. Meanwhile, the guest of honor, Avery, came unglued. Yep....her 31/2 month old wheels finally came off and the wailing ensued. Since I had eaten by then and her mom hadn't, I took Avery for my shift. The other kids in attendence had their parent, to help them, so the rest of the adults had a grand time, sans children. Ahhhhh, to have grown kids or at least ones that are self sufficient. Hudson only had minor tears when he slipped and fell on his arm---he is always purrrrrfect. And adorable.

Poor old Avery had just hit the post christening wall. I decided that since I'm a tad fluffy at the moment, we might as well put all that soft duvet fluffiness to work so she and I went off for some girl time to try to get baby girl to give it up, and go to sleep, vs wailing. The only problem was, she had really thrown a rod by now and was just one mad baby. What to do?? I snuggled her up and got her in the position just like I used to do with the boys, wrapped in her blankey, stuffed her passie in her wailing mouth, and just shushed her and walked her until she finally gave up. She would occasionally open one eye to peep around, but it would then flutter closed. Since my sister had held her all during the church service, no one was interested in a hand off & potentially waking her up, except Fred, and he'd have taken her in a NY minute if she wouldn't have cried. Plus, they were all eating dessert and as cute as she is, she was just no contest against all that sugar, fat, and decadence.
Crying really brings out the "Awwww....Ethel " in Fred, and me, too, for that matter-- but it also becomes a contest of sorts--to see if I can May-May them to sleep. The May-May effect is the latent grandmother stuff that starts oozing out of me on to any baby within three feet of me. I can't help it...I just love babies. Any kind...animal, mineral, vegetable. Hand it over. I do know my limits, though....if they scream too long, I'm headin' for the dessert table, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment