Blog Patrol Counter

Friday, April 9, 2010

Garden update--yesterday and this morning--

Well.....I think Fred got his money's worth out of me today. Nooo...not like that. At the garden plot--and I worked my tail off. No doubt he'll give me one of those "Nowwwww, Ethel"'s like I didn't do all that much, but he can go sit on a hoe. I'm through using mine so he can use that one if he's gonna give me grief. OK...I digress. First, I raked out all the old leaves and crud in all three sections of my patch and then loaded it in my garbage sack and hiked it to the dumpster. Then it was pitch fork time and I turned that whole plot except for the little part that's still planted with the leeks, onions and parsley the other lady left behind. Oh, yeah...and the red valve part. Since I don't even really know what that thing is, I'm not getting near it. (I am still hunting for Fred's camera and when I find it, I'll shoot a pic and let you all tell me what you think it is.) Back to work.
By green garden-gloved hand, I picked out each grub worm I found (ick!), tossed it, and I found close to ten. Gross....me...out. Those make me want to gag. Seriously. White and all slimy looking? Nuh, uh. I'm going to have to see if you can put grub killer in with vegetables...doesn't sound real organic or healthy so since I got all the ones I saw, that just may have to do.
I added the half bag of garden soil to the small area, spread it around and sort of stirred it up into the soil, planted my two basil plants, fertilized them with fish emulsion, and, honey, I was d-o-n-e. If you'd have had a deep sniff of that fish emulsion you'd be done, too. Think lots of dead fish, concentrated, in a slimy green brown solution that you dilute with water. Pure deeee awful.

(
Oh, Lord....I wish I could add sound to this so you all could turn on your speakers and hear Sister "hound dog" howling in the den. Something must have walked by on the driveway that got her all stirred up. The best part is, she tries to talk while she howls so what comes out is even funnier.) She was out front earlier and let me just report that her "voice command training" a la Fred, has not improved one iota. She has got the "I am deaf and do not care what you are saying to me" look, down to an art form. Think Helen Keller in dog form--that's her. It is hilarious to watch them together out the window as Fred continues to try to nail jello to a tree --i.e. make Sis mind. Ain't gonna happen, folks.
After our post dinner trip last night to Home Depot for garden soil, Fred added several bags so we are ready to plant vegetables and flowers in the garden, and my pots at home. I'm 'on getter dun today. After much self examination, I have decided I'm a lot better waterer, chair sitter, and general bosser than I am a worker, though I do like the planting part. The getting sweaty part?? Not so much.

P. S. I sooo love screwing with the spell check on here....you can tell with all my made up words it just wants to blow up when I hit spell check. Ain't life great????

No comments:

Post a Comment