Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Changes...I like 'um


Last evening I had a wonderful visit from a "follower"--none other than Adre', telling me she was up at the garden. I headed out the back door and was there in two seconds since I only have to cut across a small area to get there. We toured, we chatted, she informed me since her daddy was a great gardener--the real deal--unlike me, pitiful city farmer, how her dad did his gardens. She told me he once tried tire wheel gardening (in Denison) where you plant inside the tire wheel. Bet that was a looker. It was just a perfect evening for two gals to sit outside and visit, look out over God's handiwork, and just relax. It's not the grand glamorous stuff that impresses me anymore. It's the quiet, simple beauty that gets me these days and taking the time to really "see" what's right in front of me. In my youth, I was always in just too big of a hurry to slow down and really appreciate a red garden poppy, the artistry of one man's plot where he has interwoven all different plants and herbs, the white garden gate in another plot. I was always gunning it on to the next thing. Not so today.

Since I am no longer a spring chicken, I think slowing down and actually taking the time to see things has become one of my most treasured changes. Today, I like slow, or at least slower.

Unless it's traffic. Slow just does not work for me there and I'm not thinking anything, short of a 5 mg. Valium, is ever going to make traffic gridlock OK for me. I am just not that Zen.

1 comment:

  1. It was summer night porch-swinging wonderful to visit in your garden. You should hang out a shingle like Lucy in Charlie Brown comics!

    ReplyDelete