Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

YUM


I just had my most favorite Spring/Summer dinner of bruschetta. You start with those vine ripe cluster tomatoes or any really good ones you can find this early, wash and slice. (If they don't smell like a tomato they won't taste like on either, so only buy the good ones. The sniff test is a must.) Salt and pepper them if you want. Later in the summer you won't need to salt them but right now, it might be smart. Next, whip out your great sourdough french bread, already sliced, from Eatzi's or Empire Bakery--none of that grocery store nonsense. It does not even qualify as sourdough so fagedaboudit. Next, slice a clove of fresh garlic and rub on the as yet un-toasted sourdough ( cut side down on the garlic) if you are worried about garlic breath. If not, wait until it's toasted, rub the bread, and just don't breathe on or near anybody, tonight. Now, step outside your driveway door to your basil pots and pinch off several fat ole big leaves. Wash and set aside. Lastly, grab a salad plate or saucer, pour a puddle of high quality olive oil, and add a little Kosher salt and some fresh cracked pepper. OK... by now you should be salivating like Sister, when she smells steaks coming in the back door.

For the garlic breath crowd, toast the bread, then rub it with the garlic, spoon on the olive oil mix, add a basil leaf and a slice of tomato, and sit down. Since I'm assuming you've already poured a glass of your favorite vino, give thanks, and bite that toast. Savor, chew, taste that early basil and tomato, with the underlying garlic flavor....the olive oil's slight fruitiness. Have a sip of wine and pretend you are in Provence. And even better still, take yourself and your bruschetta outside and enjoy it. Eat until satisfied and follow with a piece of dark chocolate. Heaven... on... earth.

FYI: I listened to my intuition this afternoon and dropped by mom's, to visit with her, and gently give her more information on dementia, checkbooks, identity theft, credit cards, & scamming of the elderly. Suffice it to say, she tried (for a nano second) to get all huffy about not giving up her checkbook but it was a total tempest in a tea pot. She ended up giving me everything-- with out so much as a whimper.
I then called my sister and told her I was on my way over with a present for her. When I walked in, she looked at me and said "what in the world are you bringing me?" and I handed her the checkbook and credit cards. Even then she was a tad confused until she looked at the checks. Truth be told, she is leaving town tomorrow for a few days with her gal pals and I knew she'd obsess and worry the entire time she was gone, about having to have this discussion with mom next week, and then dread coming home. From the look on her face, I think it's one of the best gifts I've ever given her.

No comments:

Post a Comment