Blog Patrol Counter

Friday, January 27, 2012

Chickens in UP? Maybe

I noticed yesterday that "the chicken" issue was back in the newspaper only this time it was from one of the columnist, Mariane Greene.  As a chicken enthusiast, she had previously shown pictures of her girls and authored an article on the joys of raising and having chickens.  She was clearly throwing her support of chickens out there and as a result, I've decided to do a little information gathering.  I have a call in to the University Park Town Hall--the guy I needed to speak to was not in yet to ask a few questions.  So far, all I've been able to find out is there is an ordinance against raising chickens and it was put in place in 2008, after a Scouts project of raising chickens.  The boy was allowed to have the chickens for the remainder of their lives, and after that, no more chickens.  The receptionist I spoke with agreed that some people's dogs are a lot more of a nuisance than chickens, so just know whatever I find out, you'll know, too.  She did say chicken's (poop) is stinky and I agree it can be, if you have a chicken farm, a la Pilgrims Pride, but that's not what we are talking about.  We're talking about a limited number in the backyard, so stay tuned.  As a life long Bubble resident, how the vote for this kind of thing works is just something I feel I need to know and understand.  At 58, I'd say it's probably w-a-y past time.

I went by to see mom yesterday, after scoring a lovely pot of three purple hyacinths at the "Pickwick" Tom Thumb.  That's the little one in Preston Center East so named by me because its on Pickwick.  Kind of a no brainer.  It's always been a favorite of mine and their flowers and the HP Village store's, are always much better than the other stores.  When I arrived, mom was napping like a little child but I could see her fingers moving, so I knew she was not fully asleep--just kind of opossuming.  I sat down on the bed with her and put the flowers close enough so she could get a big old lung full and sniff of fresh hyacinth, and then she cried.  She always does these days and that's fine.  I'm used to it now.  She tells me how much she loves me, how grateful she is that I've come to see her, and then she often says something "out there".  W-a-y out there.

Back to the chickens--I just got a call from Steve Mason who works for the UP Town Hall.  Wow...talk about defensive....he would barely let me ask a question, for mowing over me.  Dude..not smart, but whatever.  He says a lot of what was in the paper is inaccurate--there was never a 9-1 vote.  He said the committee vote was 3-2 to uphold the ordinance, but the issue has been handed to a committee to see about coming up with guidelines in order to allow for backyard chicken raising.  He said he was actually there for the vote and it was clear that one person was wavering and in favor of allowing for chickens, with stipulations.  He said issues in the past were rodents, maintaining a clean environment, houses being close together, etc.  So, it sounds like it's far from over and that anybody who wants to raise chickens may be able to eventually.  You heard it here first.

No comments:

Post a Comment