Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, January 5, 2012

A real eye opener

Wow.  This morning is already off to an early start.  A little before 8 AM, Mary called and that's usually not good news when she calls that early.  It seems she was having a rip the back door off the hinges emergency that simply could not wait one second longer.  She was making cookies, and needed a teaspoon of baking powder.  She was out.  No sooner than we hung up, she was on my back porch with her little container, for a teaspoon of baking powder.  Even bad old Sis wasn't out of bed yet but here was Mary, hair uncombed and a coat thrown on.  I had to laugh when she left.  I guess at 81, maybe you really do need that teaspoon of baking powder in a hurry.  She didn't say, but I'm betting she has her bridge ladies tomorrow so that's why she's got such a burr under her saddle.  At 81, I'd be sipping my coffee, waiting for the Festive Kitchen to open so I could go get my frozen dough and be done with it.  But Mary is a frugal old gal and probably has nothing better to do this morning than make cookies, so good for her!  Plus....she's not a coffee drinker.

I read the article in this mornings paper about the guy who currently holds the record for the most "hits" as a sniper.  Dubious award, no??  He said as a SEAL, he never aspired to be a sniper--he was voted by his pals to take the training, so he did.  He sounds like he has managed to deal with emotional and psychological aspects of the job pretty well.  He said deciding if you can really kill someone on that very first shot, is the hardest.  Well, yeah...  I'm not thinking for me it would get any easier until I saw one of my guys get killed, and then maybe pure adrenaline would help some.  But afterwards...yikes...I don't know.  I do know this: since I probably couldn't hit my car sitting in the driveway, I'm not likely to face this situation and for that, I am grateful.  It's a job and I am thankful he did (or still does it) for me and my safety.  I'm just glad it's not my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment