Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Books....gotta love 'um

Book stores.  What's not to love?  They are cool inside, filled with all kinds of great things, and some even have comfy chairs you can sink into to "test drive" any potential take-homers.  And the people watching is spectacular.   There's food, coffee, and bathrooms--even music.  Come to think of it, I could almost live there--- except for the no bed part.  I was at Barnes and Noble earlier today and noticed that those previously mentioned comfy chairs have all but disappeared.  What's up with that??  I'm gonna call and find out so sit tight a minute.
  OK, I just hung up with Victor and he says since they have added all those new gadgets(?) that are revenue generating, the chairs got the hook.  Plus, he said the chairs had gotten dirty and tired looking, so that was another reason.  And lastly, my favorite area up on the mezzanine is now used almost daily for book signings and "other things", and they kept having to move the chairs almost daily, so that one was a no brainer.   It's clear they want your money-- just not your butt sitting in a chair.  They want you up browsing/spending or out the door.  They don't want you just sitting around since that doesn't make them any money.  I'm sure some people probably did spend a lot of time there hence my earlier idea--I wonder if people were sort of living there, all day?  

I read yesterday where Joan Rivers said everyone in her family was bookish.   She said she and her late husband, Edgar, used to go out to dinner every Saturday night and then hit a local book store.  The rule was, you could buy anything you wanted, and she said they both came home every week with bags full of books.  Cool, no??

No comments:

Post a Comment