Blog Patrol Counter

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Salmon? Give it up, already

Since this was my morning with the pups, I got a fairly early start on the day.  I was at the Farmer's Market by 10am checking out the offerings.  The tomatoes still are still good and since Mary wanted some also, I got us the medium sized basket.  Sad to say, the peaches are really on the way out.  The Freestone's are gone but I never buy those anyway and whatever you do, taste Wes Jones peaches before you buy them.  Or better yet, just don't buy 'um.  The one I tried was mealy and gross and I'd have spit it out if there'd been trash can nearby.  Only two place besides Wes's had them, and while Betty still has some, they just aren't near what they were a few weeks ago.  Duh.  It's August.
  The cantaloupes in Shed Number One, on the left hand side of the street, about two thirds of the way down, are spectacular.  The young lady who sells them will pick them for you, if you ask her to, according to how ripe you want them, and then bag and write on the bag how many days they need, if you want to space them out.  I came home again with three bowling balls-- and they have been just incredible.  I found some enormous blueberries last week and have put blueberries on sliced cantaloupe all week, and now I'm addicted. 

That accomplished, I headed for Tom Thumb to get that out of the way-- and get my ribs going for dinner.  And just when I thought I was finished crankin' on old men know- it- alls, I ran right smack into to one while rib hunting.  This man was determined that the 50% off Sock-eye salmon he saw last night at 11pm, was still there--"it had to be"--because no one could have possibly bought it by 11 AM this morning, as we stood there-- a full 12 hours later.  Really?  Shop much, mister?
That man liketa pecked that poor butcher to death. He wanted the butcher to go through the entire case and find it...never mind the butcher had already told him he put all the meat in the case this morning and never saw any salmon, where the guy was pointing.  You'd think that would do it, wouldn't ya??  Welllllllll, no.  The guy kept on and on, and then told the butcher why didn't he just sell him some fresh salmon at 50% off, because his salmon was gone?  At this point, I am standing down the case from the crazy man, making faces at the butcher and laughing, as the butcher tries not to lose it.  He was young and you could tell he was trying not to laugh, which always just eggs me on.   I love to do stuff like that....just sort of makes my day.  Anywho, I finally got bored with the crazy old man and went on about my business.  Two lanes over I realized I needed pepperoni and since it's over in the Deli area, near the meat, back I went.  Wanna guess who was still there?  Yep, and he was finally buying salmon but I don't think it was 50% off, since he still seemed a pretty pissy.  Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment