Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Lunch at the Plaza

Yesterday I met my Sib's and mom for lunch at the Plaza at Edgemere.  What could have been sort of a sad thing (eating lunch at an old people's home) was actually delightful.  And to say that mom was excited, doesn't cover half of it.  She called me twice, in less than 24 hours, to remind me to come early, since the parking can be a challenge.  She had reserved a table for just the four of us, and while she wasn't very talkative, that was just fine.  You could tell it was just being with us that really mattered.  The food was great, my brother and I compared elderly dog notes since his dog, Elvis, is older than Wiggles, and all in all, it was just a lovely lunch.  My sister seemed a little quiet but that's not at all unusual.  She and I both have been in a lot of grief over mom for months.  Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm making memories when I do stuff like this.  It won't be long before mom won't either be able to do this with us, or won't remember who in the heck we are.  Or, will be gone all together.

On the way out, my brother mentioned the walker thing, again, and I didn't even bite.  I told him I thought it was a good idea and that I had told that to my sister, as well.  My understanding was my sister was going to take care of getting one, if mom was willing to even have one.  I told him mom was no longer wearing her Plaza necklace with the panic button on it --the one she was wearing after her last fall.  And I asked him...."So...are you thinking a walker is going to get a lot of use?" and we both rolled our eyes and laughed.

I think it makes him a tad crazy that I don't try to force mom to do anything.  She and I laugh about it all the time.  I've told her repeatedly that it's her life, and she's given me the job of trying to keep her safe, while not infringing on her independence.  I'm just gonna let her do what she wants, as long as it's reasonably safe, and she wants to do it.  It's weird because this is NOT the relationship we have always enjoyed.  Mom used to be afraid that when she reached this age, I'd be some big straw boss who wouldn't let her do squat and, today, I'm the exact opposite.  If I can figure out a way for her to do what she wants, she does it.  And, honestly, in my heart of hearts, it thrills me no end, when it works out.




No comments:

Post a Comment