Blog Patrol Counter

Monday, August 9, 2010

Laugh or go nuts

Well, I got another one of those dreaded phone calls last night--the ones from John over at the Plaza saying mom had fallen--again.  Luckily for mom, she is well padded so she hasn't broken anything yet.  She is now two for two in the last two weeks and I am praying this is not a trend, knowing full well it probably is.  I'm thinking this is sort of the Humpty Dumpty syndrome.
John and I are becoming quite chummy since we've been chatting weekly and I may just have to look him up next time I am there.  I'd like to have a face to put with my new phone friend's name.

I just returned from buying mom two pairs of new shoes and forgot that with dementia, new things are not all that thrilling.  At first mom was delighted and then I watched as her enthusiasm faded....at first she loved the shoes...and then wasn't sure.  She wanted to wear them to be sure.  That one caught me by surprise and made me laugh.  She couldn't quite remember that they don't want back shoes that have been worn.  Damn.  She is funny.  I asked her if she'd rather go up to the shoe store to look and she was emphatic that she didn't want to.  So, the shoes are going to live with her until Wednesday and that gives her a couple of days to decide.  If she wears them, I sure hope she likes them.

I called my sister to fill her in on the shoes and she told me about one of her work friends, whose mom lives at the Plaza, also.  The work friends mom had gotten a skin infection and had to be hospitalized, for staph.  The friend had told her mom she had to wear a fresh, clean pair of slacks daily, and her mom said she did.  She said "I wash this (same) pair every day" and when the daughter questioned her a bit further, since the staff does the Plaza residents laundry for them, found her mom had been washing her pants by throwing them at the bottom of her shower, while she showered at night, and then hung them up.  Or, this is what her mom claimed she did.  Oh, the joys of getting older and losing your marbles.  I can hardly wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment