Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Can you relate?

I heard a piece of sage advice the other day from my wise old owl friend.  She said her dad used to say it when she was growing up and I thought it was worth passing on, especially in view of the coming week.  His saying was : Do something for someone you love today--leave them alone.  Considering that I tend to get overly excited and stressed as Christmas approaches, it makes perfect sense that the best gift I could give my loved ones is just to let them be who they are, not who I'd like them to be.  Can I get an amen on that one?  I can hear every member of my family, on both sides, heaving a sigh of relief and breaking out into a big old grin.  Woo hooo ...May-May (the boys name for me) is gonna let God do Christmas, instead of trying to orchestrate the whole thing herself. ( If you listen really hard, you will hear the Hallelujah Chorus playing in the background as you read this, and see people rejoicing.)

I know wanting to control stuff is just my default setting--to be sure things comes out the way I think they should.  I also know that when I let go of the results of anything, it always turns out better--MUCH BETTER-- than when I have it in a death grip, choking the life right out of it.  So, today, and just for today, I'm going to 1) finish wrapping the big presents I haven't wrapped simply because they are big and sort of hard to manage  2) I'm going to make roll dough because I am still enamored of that dough hook and love watching it make dough  3) I'll remember to be loving and kind to all I meet today, even if they are driving a car, and I don't like the way they are driving.  That should all keep me really busy, just for today.


No comments:

Post a Comment