Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Moonshine

I have a nurse friend who was raised in Kentucky, and is the youngest of nine kids.  She told me growing up, her older brothers always made Moonshine, and here I thought Moonshine was something only hillbillies like The Clampit's made, out back somewhere in the backwoods, in their shotgun protected Still.  She says they were plenty country, but maybe not quite that bad. 
My friend said it's the best stuff you've ever tasted and will blow...the ...hat...off....your.... head.  Yeah, white lightening.  And, it has a bigger kick than a mule, but after the first taste, you don't much care.  She said it's really sweet, too.  OK...that's the end of what I know about Moonshine, until last Sunday night.

I'm sitting in bed reading the December edition of Southern Living magazine only to find an article entitled "Get in the Spirit with Christmas Red Cranberries".  Sounds tame enough. I look down, and the first two recipes include some form of Moonshine, with duh, cranberries.  At this point, my brain goes haywire and I'm wondering where in the world do you buy Moonshine?  Do you just grab your keys and head for Arkansas?  I'm not thinking any of the chic-chic Dallas hooch emporiums are going to stock it, but then what do I know.  And then I hit the note at the bottom of the first recipe:  "We tested (the recipes) with Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon Carolina Moonshine (piedmontdistillers.com)."  Case closed, and I am still laughing.  Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon Carolina Moonshine???  The name is purrrrfect.

** Their other brand is called "Cat Daddy"--- and I swear I'm not making this up.  Google it.

No comments:

Post a Comment