Blog Patrol Counter

Friday, December 24, 2010

It's the reason for the season

In the middle of the night, I had a menu make over, due to sensitive tummies around here.  Mine and Fred's.  Yeah, still.  This bug this is gross.  As a result, the rich fancy potatoes I was going to do got jettisoned in favor of simple roasted quartered new potatoes, tossed in a little olive oil, fresh cracked pepper, and Kosher salt, cooked crispy on the outside.  Ditto roasted carrots that have been cut on an angle in 1-2 inch slices.  They can all go together in the same pan, spread out so they get that caramelized crust on the carrots, and crusty edge on the potatoes.  The lamb is busy marinating since yesterday in lemon juice, a whole roasted garlic bulb that you roast and then squeeze out the cloves into a bowl, snipped fresh rosemary , and a drizzle of olive oil.  You mush it all together and then rub on the lamb.  I forgot the olive oil yesterday so short of canceling Christmas, I'm just going to drizzle a little on it before it hits the oven or the grill.  I just finished doing the tenderloin and hallelujah, I not only trimmed it but I tied it all up, before I put it in the freezer, back when I bought it.  Oh, Lordy....that was wonderful and saved me lots of time--and energy.  I'll wait to season it until later this afternoon.  The tenderloin is definitely going on the grill, and I'm thinking the lamb is, too.

OK...enough on the food.  Time to discuss who and what I am most grateful for and topping the list has to be Fred, Fred, and more Fred.  They just don't come any better than him and when I saw him outside in the backyard this morning, with his head phones on listening to The Ticket, blowing leaves in his robe and pj's, I just allllllllll most lost it.  He's still feeling puny but has helped me finish setting the table, and sshuzzzzzing it where I just can't.  Sometimes I have to rein him in, but usually his artistic side comes roaring out and if I just shut up, he does something I would never have thought of...that's just how he rolls.  And a big old thank goodness for that.

After lunch, we are all headed over con los perros (with the dogs), to see mom.  We'll make it a short and sweet run, since she's not a big conversationalist these days and can get overwhelmed fairly easily.  Since she loves our dogs, especially Wigman, this will be really fun for her--and him--and Sis will be beside herself.  She's all about visiting and she's never been to The Edge so she'll be in heaven, greeting everyone. My sister was going to join us with any of her crowd who wanted to come but now I'm not sure if that will work for them, and that's cool.  They may go tomorrow instead or whatever. 

Lastly, I am grateful that anyone would read my blog and for the chance to just tell it like it is, in my world.  All of you have been so kind when you've commented you enjoy it and even if you haven't, that's OK, too.  I'm just grateful to be able to unload and laugh at what life shoves my way.  Love, laugh, be grateful...it's the reason for the season.  "God bless us everyone."

Merry Christmas to All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



1 comment: