Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Pisa?

This morning, I've got a case of the "sads."  I got a call yesterday that mom was "leaning to the right" and while she's done this before, and it resolved itself, this just isn't great news.  You don't want to think of your mom as looking like the leaning tower of Pisa --but right now she does.  She can stand but isn't walking.

Her vital signs are all good so I have just adopted a wait and see attitude, since mom has always been adamant that when something happens to her, she doesn't want any extraordinary measure taken, to keep her here.  I had the PA check her out and we both agreed there was just no reason she had to go to the hospital.  Yes, we could go to Presby and have a gabillion test run and spend a huge sum of money for Medicare to pick up, but that's not what she wants, so that's not what we're gonna do.  I checked earlier this morning and she is essentially the same.  As long as she is comfortable and not in any pain, onward we go.  I am not going to try to prevent something happening to her, that I don't have the power to prevent in the first place.

When I spoke with Martin, the PA, I could tell my reaction of "let's wait and see" was a bit of a surprise to him.  I think a lot of the folks he deals with first response is to "do something".  When I assured him this is what mom has schooled me to do, for years, when things started heading south with her, I could feel him relax on the phone.  I told him I would take full responsibility and that whatever happened, we were both doing our designated jobs.  And then we both started laughing. Funny how laughter makes things so much easier.

I just hung up with mom and after asking her if she was walking today, she told me "Yes, I have a walker" and when I said "But do your legs work?", she said "I don't know...I haven't used them yet today", I just had to laugh.  She doesn't mean to be funny, but sometimes she just is.  My sister and I are taking her out to lunch on Friday to satiate that " hankerin' " for Mexican food.  When I told her just now, she crowed with delight.  She's going to tell everybody over there she's going out to lunch on Friday.  Sometimes it's the small stuff that's BIG.

2 comments:

  1. It's so good to hear your reasonable attitude about your mom. I wonder if it's an inner ear infection. My mom was at Edgemere until last fall. She spent about 5 years in assisted living and then a few in Memory Care. She's now at the Forum in the Alzheimer's unit, and doesn't even seem to know that she's moved
    I agree with waiting. It seems we were always pushed to go straight to the hospital, and I don't think it was always a good idea. Love the 'I haven't used them today' comment! Bless you all, and hope you have a very happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank, Julie. It's always great to hear from someone who's walked the walk. Happy 4th to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete