Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Smalls

Oy, vey!  Mom's friend who takes her to church every Sunday is "frustrated" that the Plaza can't accommodate her needs, to have mom waiting in the Lobby to be picked up every Sunday.  I've been through this with her ad nauseum but at 83, mom's friend is not going to change.  I won't go into all the details but suffice it to say, it is what it is.
  It's so clear to me that she just doesn't understand memory loss.  Because mom can be so coherent at times, she has tons of her friends buffaloed.  Her friend is just the very best in the world, and I'm grateful that she's willing to take mom---I think I'm just tired of trying to make everybody happy-- when I don't have the power to do that in the first place.  The question that told the tale was when she said "Can't they make this little request happen?" and I had to tell her "Multiply your little request, times every single patient on mom's unit, with a special request, and tell me how manageable that sounds to you.  I know they would if they could, but it's just not possible".  When it gets to be too much, I've told her repeatedly, to pull the plug on doing it.  (And the underlying message is to please quit ragging me.)  :)

I finally hooked up with the Smalls yesterday afternoon after way too long not seeing them, for a Snider Plaza Health Food Store yogurt fest.  I knew I was missing them something awful and I could barely keep my hands off of them!  I wanted to just grab both of them and kiss them to pieces.  They made it there first and were choosing their flavors and getting their Sprinkles on top, when I arrived.  Since Avery was napping, I got Hadley and Hudson and their mom, Nicole, all to my self for a good thirty minutes of hilarity.  As soon as Had finished her yogurt, she started doing the "Vanna White" of the all vitamins.....although she knows she's not supposed to touch them, and I'm sure I wasn't much help as I kept laughing every time she sneakily picked up a bottle, and then gave us a HUGE smile.   Hudson has grown a foot--no lie--and his sister just thinks he is way better than chocolate.  They scampered around in the store, got a balloon from Mr. Glen, and Hadley dragged Hudson around the store, by the back of his shirt.  As all little sisters do, Had cannot keep her hands off Hud and God love him, he just puts up with it, for the most part.  He is a boy after all and when he's had enough, let's just say it's Fight Night.  I can tell I'm going to be a terrible grandmother because even that makes me laugh. 

The reality is, I knew something was missing, and yesterday I was able to figure out what it was.  It was them.  There is just nothing better than a big old jolt of kids and love, to get your motor running again.  I don't know what I'd do without these three little people.  Life would just NOT be near as fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment