Blog Patrol Counter

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Pretend..it's FUN

Hello, Houston, we have a problem.  For the life of me, I cannot find Senator John Connally's Peach Ice Cream recipe that was featured in Southern Living magazine a mere 25 or so years ago.  I had it for the longest time and now it's AWOL.  As I remember, it was the best peach ice cream ever and probably had as much sugar in it as Bluebell, but seriously, who exactly cares?  If you're gonna indulge, indulge.  I went online to SL mag to try to check their archives, with no luck, so I may have to send them a suck up email to see if they can find it. If you happen to have it, shoot it to me, please.

Now, I'm not sure I'm going to make it, even if they can find it---I just want to know I have it back in my stash of recipes.  It's a comfort thing more than anything.....just knowing I can read it vs actually making and eating it.  No telling how many trees I've killed printing recipes I might someday want to make.  I read cookbooks like novels.  They all tell a story by the foods contained within, and I am always the main character, of course, cooking each recipe to rave reviews of the people being served.  Sad, isn't it?  Quit laughing...it's fun.  In my imagination, I've also designed the tablescapes in each picture, if I like them--if not, somebody else did them, poor thing.  As you can tell, I have a BIG imagination since 1) I am a mediocre cook at best 2) I am usually too lazy to do any tablescape type thing, period.  But, I do like to pretend, so that's what I do....just like a little girl playing house.  It's entertaining and if I don't like what's in the picture, I just turn the page.

I think most women do this, too, which is why we all subscribe to so many magazines.  Whether it's fashion, food, or design, we all like to think that's us wearing that cool dress, that we cooked that killer meal, or live in that to die for house.  I really like pretend.....when you get tired of it, you just get up and go do something else.  And, you don't have to cleanup the kitchen or pay some hideous credit card bill for that dress or furniture you bought.  Love, Love, Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment