Blog Patrol Counter

Friday, July 16, 2010

KH

Yesterday I had a planned visit from my old assistant who I worked with forever at Medical City.  She had called Wednesday, in the middle of all the Muff drama, and said she'd be two blocks away at a funeral on Thursday morning, and could she come by afterwards, to visit.  Oh, my gosh, YES.  Now, knowing her, and my life, that was no mere coincidence.  When one of us is hurting or in a bad place, unknowingly, we will pick up the phone and call the other one--out of the clear blue.  We've done it back and forth to each other now tooooooo many times to count and we just know we are supposed to be together.  If Bruce dies first, she and I are going to have rooms next to each other in the same Nursing Home.  We've already planned it.  And were only going to invite people we like to live there.  If you aren't on our list, sooo sorry.  Find another home.
And she knows me better than probably anyone walking the face of this Earth.  Maybe even Fred.  She's had me as  her boss, her friend, and her fellow prankster.  And she still loves me.  And I love her.  She loves animals even more than I do so she teared up when I told her the scoop on the Muff man.  Wow.  I have missed seeing her.  Emails are just not the same thing.  We talked for one hour non-stop and could have gone on for days--we were just scratching the surface of some topics--but it was time for her to head North, to work.

  She lives on a rural spread outside of Allen, in Lucas, Texas and has all kinds of animals--some I'd never heard of but, boy, I know about them now.  When she worked for me, something was always happening to one of them.  She used to have a donkey named Harold Eugene Helton, III, that would bray and kick the chain link fence outside her house, when he was hungry or bored, and wanted her to come out and visit..  She fed him grapes, Doritos, watermelon, along with his regular food and he was spoiled to death. He was a regular in almost every Parade in Allen and he had numerous costumes--ones for every holiday.  Ditto her goats.  One year she dressed all of them them up in Elf costumes to be in the Allen Christmas parade, and ended up on the front page of the Allen paper.  There is not a funnier woman alive and the stories she can tell are just unbelievable.  I used to lie down on the floor of my office so I wouldn't fall down, laughing.  Yes, she could make me crazy sometimes but I'm sure I must have made her crazy as well.

She's like the brunette sister I never had.  When she hopped out of her little white sewing machine of a car, 45 pounds lighter, I almost keeled over.  She has always battled a weight problem and she rooked mahvelous.  We hugged, we laughed, and she saw the puppies-- even though Wigman was so sound asleep he never woke up to greet her.  She looked at me and nodded that the end isn't far away for him, either.  And Sis loved her. And would have gone home with her in a nano second. 

I used to tease her all the time about stirring her food together--she'd make a big old salad from the salad bar, and then stir it all up--and put 15 kinds of salad dressing on it.  I warned people who were eating with us for the first time that eating with her was an experience, and some people just shrugged, until they saw her do it.  She once explained it to me this way.  She said "I like all of the flavors and I want to taste them all together" as she dipped her stirred up salad bite, in BBQ sauce.  There's nobody like her and I wouldn't trade her friendship for anything.  Life would just be too dull with out her.  And just no fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment