Blog Patrol Counter

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Literary Treasure

I realized just a few minutes ago that I'm getting frustrated.  Over books.  Yeah....books.  Everywhere I look emails, newspapers, magines, there's a list of yet another book I want to read-- right now.  This minute.  And let's face it, that's what summer is all about--- it's just that I can't get anything else done if  I just give myself over to books.  Now, it's not like I'm a career diplomat or brain surgeon who has appointments every minute of each day.   It's just that once I start reading, and a book is really good, I'm gone.  I barely even get hungry.

My mom used to be a big reader and I remember as a little girl telling my mom one summer that I "was bored, there was nobody to play with ", etc.  You know the little kid lament.  She took me around the corner in our upstairs hall, to a double sided, three shelved book case and grabbed a book.  She told me a little bit about the story, I grabbed it, and the rest is history.  It just so happens it was Island of the Blue Dolphins and I've never gotten over the power of books since.  I was that kid on the Island.  I did all the stuff he did.  Once I was finished with it, I went back to her for another suggestion and she gave me Caddie Woodlawn.  Again, I disappeared, and this went on for ever.  I read all of the Nancy Drew series and all the other spin offs--you name it, I read it.  Mom either kept the books coming or handed me a kids reading list, and then drove me to the library where I'd get pissed if a book was already checked out. :)  I'd choose something else-- but the waiting made me crazy. 

And then came Gone with the Wind.  My parents didn't see me for a week.  And I'm a fast reader.  I was holed up, with my book, and only took brief pit stops before I'd disappear again.  And by the way, Scarlett O'Hara was not brunette--at least not in my book because I was her, and I'm NOT brunette.  And I think that has to be my favorite thing about books:  I get to be the casting director.  If  I don't like the way they describe the main character, and I'm playing her, then of course, she looks just like me--only better.  But I'm still her.  And if I don't care and just want to enjoy the story, then everybody stays just as the author created them to be--I keep my imaginary hands off. 

Reading.....sooooo many books.  Sooooo little time.  I just have to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment