Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, July 17, 2010

OOOO la la....

This morning I've got a hankerin' to head to the Farmer's Market--even if I don't buy a thing--and I know I will.  There's just something about the Shed with the real Farmers that gets my motor running.  I love their sunburned, leathery faces, and their gnarly hands.  ( Shuuuuudup...I know the real farmers are seldom physically there since they are home.....well,  farming.... but since this is my blog, I can pretend they are, and a few times they have been.  So there.)  On my list will be: tee tiny baby new potatoes, if there are any.  And if there are, fresh green beans are a must so they can be friends, in the pot while they cook. Next, tomatoes and fresh peaches.  Since I didn't eat a single one of my sister's Freddysburg peaches that she brought for Mr. Tonsillectomy , I might just indulge in at  least one, if it's a run down your chin, juicy, sweet one.  If not, I'll pass.  Now, if they have some Pecos, Texas, cantaloupes, I'll get 2 or 3 and share some with, Mary, my next door neighbor.  I like to slice them up like little gondolas, and put them in a ziplock in the fridge, so you can just reach in and grab an ice cold juicy sweet one.  Deeee-lish.

Since I've been eating frozen vegetable for a month now on my eating plan, I don't think I can handle any squash, even though I love it.  I think I'm gonna have to take a powder on that one, for now.  Bruce loves black eyed peas and that's just great.  He can buy a can of them at Tom Thumb if he wants to eat some because they are just grosssssssss.  Nasty.  Not gonna do it.  I might get so some fresh spinach if it's not a bunch old giant leaves--I'm a baby spinach gal.  Oh, yeah.

Flowers are a maybe if they are really fresh and not tired looking but a watermelon is a big nooooo.  I am watermeloned out after slicing up 5 over the last 4 weeks, again, for Mr. Tonsillectomy.  At least for this week, we are going to be a watermelon free zone.

P. S.  We are just back from lunch and the FM.  My haul: one big thing of tomatoes, 2 big things of Betty's peaches (they were bigger than Mrs. Lemley's and just as tasty), and three canatoupes--one sliced and snoozing in the fridge--the other two are greener, and waiting their turn.  Mary just received her back door delivery a la Bruce of 2 big tomatoes and 3 big peaches. I'll send her a half of a ripe cantaloupe later in the week--she won't eat a whole one as she's about as big as a pencil.  I did indulge in a peach and true to form, it not only dripped on my hand, but on my shirt as well.  Oh, hell yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment