Blog Patrol Counter

Friday, July 30, 2010

Pesto, presto

Yesterday was Pesto Thursday and I still have basil left over.  It seems the last time I gave my plant a haircut, it went crazy and all the rain has helped as well, so I probably have at least three more loads before it shuts down for winter.  Each load makes two small containers so my freezer is going to be full of pesto.  My smaller plant is well....smaller...and lots less productive so I gave it a haircut, too.  I've decided the secret to making pesto is the food processor, NOT the blender.  In the food processor, nothing gets stuck and you're done in a few seconds.  I've now made it with toasted walnuts, toasted pecans, and in the past with pine nuts and as yet, cannot really tell much of a difference.  And the taste difference between homemade and grocery store is just a night and day difference.  No big surprise there.

I also made this recipe for a toffee bar cookie and while OK, it didn't blow my shoes off by any stretch.  Since I had to try it, my penance is now mowing the front yard.  Yuuuuuk.  I'm still in tomato quandary over whether to bother freezing them so no movement there.  And speaking of movement, Sister a-l-m-o-s-t bought it yesterday as she chased a squirrel across our busy side street yesterday around lunchtime.  If a car had been coming, old fat black Sister girl would be gone from this planet.  A neighbor from the next block saw the whole thing from his car and stopped to tell me how bad it scared him.  His dog, Sally, and Sis are big pals and he said he practically held his breath hoping Sis would make it across without a car hitting her.  I told Danny, "it's gonna happen one of these days and her DAD, Mr. Squirrel Hunter, is never going to hear the end of it, you can bet the Farm on that!" and Danny knew NOT to defend a certain someone.  He knows who he is and he got an earful last night.  Yes, sir, he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment