Blog Patrol Counter

Monday, July 19, 2010

My smoked little friends

Lawsie...my big old green gal Egg has come through again.  I thawed some tilapia fillets (4) and two Cornish hens and decided to see what she might do with those.  I decided to try apple wood this time since I had some and just wanted to.  So, the soaking of the chips began as I got everyone else ready for their descent into smokin' hell.  The fire started easily, so I left to refill my iced green tea and cool down.  I lightly slathered everybody with a swish of vegetable oil this time, and then commenced the seasoning.  You name it, they got it.  Garlic salt, lemon pepper, some of Tammy's Herbal Rub, and my Paula Deen salt, pepper, and garlic salt mixture that I keep in a shaker--for everything.  I did the same routine to the tilapia and as soon as the heat hit the right temp, on went the soaked chips, the grate, the fish and the chickens--in that order.  I put the fish to the outside since they have to come off after 10-12 minutes and the chickens get to stay and cook.  I figured it might be faster that way and I'd lose less time and heat.

And then I chilled.  And drank my tea. At the 10 minute mark, I checked the fish and they needed a couple of minutes more but their little fillet bodies were turning that slightly darker "we are smoked", color.  Tick, tick, tick and then finally time to pull them off.  One tiny little edge came loose from a fillet so when I got inside, I tasted it and I liketa to died.  I practically knelt in the kitchen.  Fish for the Gods. 

I just went out to check my heat on the chickens and since this is my first time on these, I'm just flat winging it.  I'm figuring they're done when the legs wiggle easily and we are about 3-5 minutes more from that, as best I can tell.  And if not, well, hell..... you can just ask for your money back.

No comments:

Post a Comment