Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Slipcovers...OMG

Slipcovers.  I thought they were supposed to make life easy.  When they got dirty you just popped them into the washer and voila'--fresh and clean.  Well, yes...that's the idea IF you can get the damn things off your chairs.  I have two Pottery Barn chairs and an ottoman that are slipped in white duck (cotton) and I love them.  If these chairs could talk, the stories they could tell would gas you.  These were the chairs that Crashman convalesced in, with his ex-fix, post crash, and even post ex-fix.  They are the chairs Bruce, Sis and Wigman are currently napping in--Sis actually owns one of them and just shares hers occasionally.  So you can imagine these chairs have seen quite a bit of action.  Hence the need to wash their slips.

It's just that getting the slips off is a wrestling match worthy of WWF.  I got Bruce to do the first one and he was worn out by the end.  It was like trying to stuff a fat girl in a tight dress or stuff yourself into the jeans you wore in fifth grade.  C'mon.  I'm all for a custom fit but egads.   And did I mention all the interior Velcro that snags and prevents progress at every turn?  I stripped the second chair and let's just say the dogs headed back to their beds in the den due to the language that spewed forth.  But I gotter dun.  Next came the actual washing--or more accurately the pre-soaking.  This pre-soak business is usually not part of my of my repertoire but this time I figured it might be worth it.  So I filled up the washer with warm water, dumped three big old scoops of OxyiClean in there and let it dissolve, and in went the slips to swim around.  The directions on the box for pre-soaking said soak 1-6 hours.  Hmmmm....that was a problem because it was already 8:30 pm , so I googled pre-soaking with Oxy.  Somebody on a message board said they'd left their stuff to soak overnight so that's what I did.  I figured it wasn't like I'd left them overnight to swim in chlorine bleach so off to bed I went. 

I am happy to report that overnighting was an excellent call--they "rook mahvelous".  The second one is about to be re-applied, wrestled, cajoled, and cussed back into place so that means my workout for the day will be done.  And the dogs will head back to the den.

2 comments:

  1. my ikea loveseat and ikea slipcover is like that. the slipcovers i've made myself are much easier. they're relaxed and fluffy and big enough to take off easily. my daughter spilled red punch on my chair and i had to leave it for a day or 2 and i finally got it in the wash with bleach. Came right out! So happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog rocks and I love the design! And the chair with the slip with the bows down the back is a killer. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete