Blog Patrol Counter

Monday, July 26, 2010

Pizza stones

Here's my little bit of wisdom for the day.  According to the directions on my pizza stone, I should have "seasoned" it by putting grease on it before using.  Eeew.  Now, I had read the directions when I bought it that said NEVER use soap on it ever or you will 1) go straight to pizza stone hell and 2) henceforth, all your pizzas will taste like soap since the stone will absorb the soap taste.  Wellllllll, luckily for me, I remembered the no soap part and it appears that putting grease on it is el wrongo, also.  Man....you just can't believe anybody these days--not even the manufacturers.  According to all the pizza stone aficionados on the message boards, the stench from greasing your stone is nasty and way unnecessary, and the funk just isn't worth it.  Well, allrightey then.  Case closed.  We pizza stoners are supposed to pretend like our stone is an heirloom cast iron skillet, and all it gets is water and a scrub if needed.  After that, dry it well and to fully dry it out the stone, you can facilitate that by putting it in a hot oven for 20 minutes.  I say punt on the oven, and mine's resting nicely, post rinse and scrub.  Done deal.

It does, however, look sort of skanky but according to my online peeps, that's fine and exactly how it should look.  So, to pizza stoners everywhere, skank is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment