Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Adios, Belclaire



Looks like the end is near.....for my old family home. I got word yesterday that the roof tiles are being removed for resale and that the salvage guys are waiting in the wings to haul off doors, sinks, and the like. Wow...who knew salvage was such a big business...but it sure is. My sister-in-law snapped these shots yesterday and unless something changes, Monday, the old gal is a comin' down. As old as it is, even though it's been remodeled many times, I'm thinking it won't take much to bring it down. I plan to drive by at some point on Monday to see if she's gone.

My friends that bought it reported that they had received a call from a man that claimed he had lived there as a child, and wanted to come by and remove a piece of wood that had all of his and his siblings height measurements on it, from childhood. His dad had measured each of them. My friend couldn't remember the man's name but out of the depths of my memory shot "J. Glenn Turner". Now, keep in mind, sometimes I can't remember what I had for lunch, but I could remember something as random as that. And as the memory surfaced, so did my memory of my dad measuring all three of us, right near the same area. On the wood, in pencil, with our name and age. I told my sister and she was stunned. Now she wants our piece of wood.

In my family, one of my jobs is/was, to be the keeper of memories --they tease me about having an elephant memory, but it's only because they can't remember sh**--and I can. Sometimes I can even tell them what they were wearing, in a particular memory. The standing joke in our family is that my sister will look at me when I tell something, and say, "Was I there?" and she's not kidding. I think she and my brother must have been in coma's as children. Either that, or I was hyper awake.

I'll be interested to see how I feel Monday or Tuesday. I have good memories and bad of that old house but my gut feeling is, I'm ready to let her go.

No comments:

Post a Comment