Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Peaches, Ooooo la la


After a brief vacay, I am back and sassier than ever. I hiked up to the Garden last night and it was ugggg-leeeee. I managed to harvest all but one tomato if you don't count the gorgeous, juicy red one the squirrels left as their calling card. And those furry little turds left it right in plain sight, beside the plant they snatched it off of, with several big bites out of it. Good thing my garden is shutting down or it would be all out WAR.
My sister dropped off some Fredericksburg peaches yesterday for Mr. Puny and since they are a little too acidic for his throat (burn baby, burn), I think I'm going to try freezing them instead. In today's paper, there is a big article on the peach crop and from the smell of these alone, I could gain five pounds. They are small but mighty. My Sis will be going down to Freddy's burg in a week or so to stay with friends, so I'm going to have her bring us back a bushel . OK, and no, I have no clue how much a bushel is but I'll find out. I'm thinking a fresh peach cobbler and some fresh peach ice cream might be right what the invalid needs, once his throat gets better.

Which brings me nicely to Hydrocodone. Fred told me he was up at 2:30 AM with his throat in flames, as he prayed it was time for pain meds. Luckily, it was but it's what he said next that gassed me. He told me "ahhhh....it feels soooo good when the pain meds kick in" and I had to laugh. Well, yeah, Fred...that's why people LIKE pain meds...and get addicted. And they do make him really goofy. I catch him staring out in space sometimes wondering where in the hell his brain is. He's just off in his own little narcotic world.
It's interesting , too, how exhausting this is for him. Prior to surgery, he worked out a lot so he's in good physical shape--it's not like he went in all "Biggest Loser". But he is just limp by mid-morning. Ditto after lunch. He has to lie down and snooze for awhile--usually a couple of hours or he gets really crabby. Welcome to post op.
But my favorite part is, he can make his nose "whistle and click" and shoot out air, when he drinks something. And he whistles out his nose when he sleeps, with his mouth open, since he can't breathe through his nose.
That is just raw talent.

Can't wait to get those "things" out this afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment